Sunday, October 08, 2006

Walk of Hope

Friday was boring, I studied. Saturday I lounged around then washed and twisted my hair. Everytime I retwist I get lazier and lazier by putting 2 separate twist together, especially if they were small and were fused together pretty good. Halfway through I had the thought of just cutting it all off and paying a loctician to do the work for me, but reality asked who was gonna pay for a loctician if I wanted to look even more like a male...and I kept on twisting.

This morning Pooka and I got up way too early for a weekend to do some volunteer work for the Foundation of Hope. They deal with the research and treatment of mental illness. To say I was moved is an understatement. When we got there the wind and drizzle was making it hard to want to stay, but just talking to the people and listening to their stories and just everything that went to being there was awesome. Most of the volunteers that were at my stations have been volunteering the walk for several years and I know why. Next year I will volunteer again and hopefully I will be in a position where Pooka and I can at least walk-jog the 6 point something mile trail along with the volunteering. I have never walked for a cause before and since I have someone very close to me with a diagnosed mental illness, what better cause is there to walk for than this one next year?

Because Pooka and I are tired and mommy wasn't exactly sure where the birthday party establishment was nor felt like riding around to find it...we took it to the house. I plan on getting another nap in before breaking the Physics book back out to kill the good mood I am in. LOL!

13 comments:

deepnthought said...

That was a wonderful thing. That was great of you to volunteer regardless to the reason you did something and that was great. I have done the cancer walk for the past 5 years in Nashville. It is so refreshing and just really inspiring. Sorry about pysics. The offer is still open.

Ladynay said...

I am glad that the school makes community service a requirement becuase if they didn't I wouldn't have got into anything like a walk for anything. My coworker who is a breast cancer survivor walks a cancer walk every year, that's pretty cool. There is a diabetes walk in Durham I am thinking about volunteering and literally walking in. Lawd knows I have folks with diabetes all around me.

Physics over greek anyday, even if the Physics looks like greek to me sometimes! :-)

Lady J said...

The feeling you get from voulenteer work far surpass any type of high you get from a drug or alcohol. I wish you luck on your walk next year. I did some work for breast cancer and domestic violence and that made me feel real good. Well get some rest and make sure u study. Enjoy the rest of ur weekend.

Ladynay said...

LadyJ, your right about that! It was cold with light rain in the beginning but everyone was smiling and showing that good ole southern hospitality. The atmosphere was just amazing the entire day.

Thanks for the luck. Last year when I had lost 60 plus pounds I was walking a trail everyday to the point where I started to slow jog it! I think about that and it sorta makes me sad that I gained it all but I am gonna get back to that point where I can jog a lil bit and not get winded. The Walk for Hope next year will be my milestone. I just work twice as hard as I did last year!

That's so great that you've done good deeds for really awesome causes. It does make you feel good.

I rested up and I am supposed to be on the online physics program looking at tutorials, but you see where I am right? LOL

You have a great weekend as well....well what's left of it anyways.

lj said...

I need to stat volunteering again. I used to volunteer at the special olypics every year when I lived in MS.

Ladynay said...

Wow the special olympics, that must have been interesting to say the least. I think everyone should volunteer somewhere at least once a year.

TTD said...

that was nice of you & pooka.. i used to walk for sickle-cell anemia.. it's been a min since i did it.. but usually they offer a shorter version of the main walk for those that can do X amt of miles..

i liked physics in high school.. im sure the college level is WAAAY different.. but i did like it

LUVIN ME said...

That was good of you. Volunteering for a good cause just does something to you...

Ladynay said...

TTD, that's cool that you've walked for anything. They had a wagon go round and round the trail for those that didn't or couldn't complete the trail. I never took Physics in high school so I can't tell you yes or no, it's probably the same stuff just more in depth at the college level.

Luvin, indeed it does. Make you want to keep doing it.

Emotionalbrotha said...

"but reality asked who was gonna pay for a loctician if I wanted to look even more like a male...and I kept on twisting"-- too too funny..

I've been growing my hair out, thinking bout locing mine up too...

and we going to have to get u some culture.. but the walk technically can be considered culture.

I mean anything other than going to the mall and hanging out with Ray Ray and them is culture. :-)

Ladynay said...

that was supposed to be an "and" between loctician and if...lol

Yah know, you've never posted pix of your face, just the body shots *which you haven't updated on the workout plan btw* so I can't say if I could see you with dreads or not...

Your right but I want to go out to the theater and museums like you and SnC be doing. I could go with Pooka but we can't have no grown conversation about what we witnessed afterwards.

Freaky Deaky said...

Sounds like you were worn out. Boo for not going to the birthday party establishment!

Ladynay said...

Freaky, I still don't know where this "frankie's" place is! LOL. My coworker fussed me out first thing this morning about not showing up, but her kid will live w/out another walmart gift card! LOL